Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Reason #49157 I wish I were still in college...

The Study of...GaGa??  The University of South Carolina is making headlines all over by offering a course titled ''Lady Gaga and the Sociology of Fame" during the upcoming Spring semester.  Even Perez Hilton blogged about it!  South Carolina Professor, Mathieu Deflem, first watched GaGa perform on The Tonight Show and knew she was "an extraordinarily talented and exciting new artist who was doing great things musically and creatively," he said.  According to a New York Times article, he went on to follow her on tour around the world and has met GaGa five times to date. 


The professor, who has his own website GagaFrontRow.net, says of the course, "We're going to look at Lady Gaga as a social event.  So it's not the person, and it's not the music. It's more this thing out there in society that has 10 million followers on Facebook and 6 million on Twitter. I mean, that's a social phenomenon. It's a global social phenomenon."


Although she's scheduled to be on tour during most of the Spring semester, he said, “I will get the word out to her that I’m doing the course, but it might be logistically too difficult for her to come.”  



I bet this class will be filled in the blink of an eye.  Sociology credit and a possible visit from Lady G?!  Yes please!  Once the course begins, we can follow the lectures and class discussions on this blog.

No comments: